Home > Environment and Waste > Fires > Fire Danger Period
Fire Danger Period

Fire Danger Period

Fire Danger Period

The CFA declares the Fire Danger Period for our region every year. This is usually from November to April, subject to weather conditions. No open air burning is allowed without a permit during the Declared Fire Danger Period.

Open air burning outside the Fire Danger Period

Section 55 of Council’s Community Local Law No. 2 states;

A person must not light or allow to be lit or remain alight any open air burn in any part of the municipal district which is zoned commercial or residential under Council’s Planning Scheme.

A person must not burn or cause to burn any material in the open air on any land, road within a residential area except in a pizza oven, barbecue, fire pit, chimenea, fire brazier or other properly constructed appliance while it is being used for cooking food or heating

On the spot fines may be imposed for breaches of this law.

Open air burning is only permitted on rural properties if the burning is 100 metres or more from a neighbouring residence. Under no circumstances are offensive materials such as chemicals, rubber, plastic, petroleum, oil, paint, lawn clippings or food waste permitted to be burnt.

Prior to lighting any fire property owners must register the burn with the Emergency Services Telecommunications Authority by calling 1800 668 511.

For more information contact
Local Laws
Phone: (03) 5036 2346 (office hours only)