Home > Latest News > New worker accommodation set for Robinvale
New worker accommodation set for Robinvale

New worker accommodation set for Robinvale

New backpacker and on-farm accommodation is being planned for Robinvale as private investors hear the call for more housing.

More than 40 new rooms will be created when two on-farm accommodation developments are built at Lake Powell and on Happy Valley Road. Council has also received planning applications for a backpacker’s hostel and for a two-unit subdivision in Robinvale itself.

Council’s Director Development and Planning Heather Green said the new housing developments were a step in the right direction.

“The housing shortage in Robinvale is well known, and Council is working on a number of levels to try to alleviate it. But we can’t do it alone,” she said.

“That’s why it’s fantastic that farmers and private investors are recognising this need and are willing to invest to help create solutions.

“While these four developments have either received their planning permits or are going through the formal planning process, we are also in conversation with other developers, and we’re hopeful that more applications will be forthcoming.”

Ms Green added that one of the roles Council could play was to create a long-term housing strategy for Robinvale. Funding has been received for this strategy and tenders are out now.

“Consultants will work to gain an understanding of Robinvale’s true population and will also create a long-term plan for housing in the area.”

And, she said, Council would continue its campaign to stamp out illegal and unsafe rooming houses in the Robinvale area.

“We have been really pleased with the community’s response to our campaign and will continue to investigate illegal rooming houses as they are reported to us. There are six properties under investigation in the Robinvale area now,” Ms Green said.

Click here for more information about rooming houses. You can also lodge complaints about potential illegal rooming houses at Council’s website or by calling Council’s Public Health team on 03 5036 2591.

If you want to start an accommodation business or legal rooming house, you should contact the Public Health team for more information.